Skip to content

Many samples collected from GET2012!

April 26, 2012

Many thanks to all who participated, supported, and attended the GET2012 conference! Don’t consider this to be our only follow-up post about the conference, I just wanted to write a brief message and share some photos of the sample collections. (One thing we’ll post later is some videos online.)

We managed to collect blood from 110 participants and 80+ microbiome kits (we haven’t counted them yet) — it’s really exciting to have so many samples! The blood will be especially valuable, many thanks to our colleagues at the Feinstein Institute (the nurses who did the blood draws). Anu, Tom, and Ward all helped pack the samples up for overnight shipping to Coriell to establish blood cell lines (EBV-transformed B cells, to be shared in the NIGMS repository). Here’s Tom’s parting photo of the kits, as he and Anu left them at FedEx while I circled the block in a Zipcar truck:

GET2012 blood kits at the FedEx office for overnight shipping. By Tom Clegg, shared as CC0.

And here’s a snapshot we made on Monday evening, when Jeantine, Jason and I finished constructing the microbiome kits for the conference (five self-collected swabs from various body sites). Many thanks also go to John Aach & Mike Chou for their invaluable help, spending the better part of the day at the reception desk handing out and receiving these kits. An avalanche of ziploc bags!

Microbiome kits for GET2012 conference. By Madeleine Price Ball, shared as CC-BY.

6 Comments
  1. April 28, 2012 12:46 am

It was truly an amazing and inspirational event. And I had fun! Gave blood, turned in the microbiome kit and even had my sweat gland density measured. Now where are those videos and slides?

• May 1, 2012 8:21 pm

It looks like the videos will take a couple weeks. I’m impatient myself — I ended up missing basically all the talks!

Joel shared his slides with us, and then Jason just emailed all the speakers from the conference asking if they’d like to share their slide decks too. Jason’s email set a May 7 deadline, so hopefully slides will be up on the GET conference website soon after that.

2. April 26, 2012 7:41 pm

I’m so sad I couldn’t be there! Next year for sure though. Are you still going to mail out microbiome kits for those of us who couldn’t make it? Did you get any videos of the event?

• April 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Whoops! I should have read the post more carefully. I look forward to watching some videos of the event. Thanks guys!

• April 27, 2012 9:37 am

We definitely want to make mail-out microbiome kits. It may be a while before we do that though — there is some organizational stuff that needs to be worked out for the long haul on this.

Don’t worry about missing the microbiome collections, the first round of these things is prone to failure. I think we ended up nixing most or all of our pilot saliva samples and asking for new samples. Of course we learn important lessons, can’t get it working without trying!

• April 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Great! I appreciate all your hard work and I’m glad I may still get to participate in the microbiome study. That’s too bad about the saliva samples, although I think I may have made a mistake in my collection anyway. I dumped out the preservative thinking it was a contaminant!

Comments are closed.